The Office for Climate Education is a foundation sheltered by the Foundation La main à la pâte. Its founding members are: Météo France, the Institut de Recherche pour le Développement (IRD), Sorbonne University and the association Météo et Climat. The OCE has been a centre under the auspices of UNESCO since 2020.
The OCE is legally represented by the Fondation La main à la pâte, but enjoys operational autonomy and has its own governance structures:
- a Strategic board;
- a Scientific and Pedagogical Committee;
- an Operational team based in Paris.
The Strategic Board decides on the missions and development of the OCE, establishes an annual action plan, votes on the budget, and appoints the members of the Scientific and Pedagogical Committee, among others. The Strategic Board of the OCE is composed of:
- Luc Abbadie, Director of the Institute for Environmental Transition of Sorbonne University;
- Jean Jouzel, President of the association Météo et Climat;
- Hervé Roquet, Deputy Director of Research, Météo France;
- Daniel Rouan, President of the Foundation La main à la pâte;
- Marie-Lise Sabrié, Director of the Scientific and Technological Culture mission of the IRD.
- Barbara Filtzinger, Head of the Education Working Area at Siemens Stiftung, Germany;
- Eric Guilyardi, Oceanographer and Climate Scientist, Institut Pierre Simon Laplace (IPSL);
- Alexander Leicht, Chief of Section, Education for Sustainable Development, UNESCO;
- Anna Pirani, Head of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Working Group 1 Technical Support Unit;
- Jean-Loup Puget, Académie des sciences;
- Stefan Rahmstorf, Professor at the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research (Institut für Klimafolgenforschung/PIK).
- Sabine Bobée, Inspector, French Ministry of Education;
- Eric Brun, IPCC Focal Point for France and Director of ONERC;
- Coralie Noël, Senior Official for Sustainable Development, French Ministry of Education;
- Pierre Léna, Académie des sciences, Honorary President of the Foundation La main à la pâte;
- David Wilgenbus, Executive Director of the OCE.
Éric Guilyardi is the Chair of the Strategic Board of the OCE.
Scientific and pedagogical committee
The Scientific and Pedagogical Committee ensures that the actions carried out by the OCE (in particular, the production of educational resources and teachers’ professional development) are evaluated.
The Committee is composed of 18 qualified members:
- Juan Carlos Andrade, Pedagogic project officer, Innovec, Mexico;
- Stéphan Baillargeon, Director of the Regional hub for science and technology education, Québec, Canada;
- Badin Borde, Education project manager, Siemens Stiftung, Germany;
- Sanny Djohan, Director of PT Kuark Internasional, Indonesia;
- Jean-Louis Dufresne, Research Director at the National Center for Scientific Research (CNRS), France;
- Serge Janicot, climate scientist at the Institut de Recherche pour le Développement (IRD), France;
- Pramod Kumar Sharma, Senior Director of Education, Foundation for Environmental Education, Danemark;
- Frederic Long, engineer, Météo France, France;
- Maria Martin, Climate physicist, Potsdam-Institut für Klimafolgenforschung (PIK), Germany;
- Claudia Martinez, Executive Director, Educator Programs and California Subject Matter Project, Diversity and Engagement, University of California Office of the President, USA;
- Cliona Murphy, Associate professor at the Institute of Education, Dublin City University, Ireland;
- Minal Pathak, Senior Scientist, IPCC Working Group III Technical Support Unit, India;
- Elvira Poloczanska, Science Advisor to the IPCC Working Group II Co-Chairs and TSU, Germany;
- Pilar Reyes, Executive director ECBI program, University of Chile, Chile;
- Anwar Rumjaun, Associate Professor at Mauritius Institute of Education, Mauritius;
- Jenny Schlüpmann, Physicist, Freie Universität Berlin, Germany;
- Vincent Viguié, Economist, Centre international de recherche sur l’environnement et le développement (CIRED), France;
- Gabrielle Zimmermann, Biologist and teacher trainer, Fondation La main à la pâte, France