This regional workshop was intended for professional development providers and teachers working in West Africa. Climate change was addressed through different themes: atmosphere, ocean, cryosphere, agriculture and biodiversity in Africa.
The workshop was organized with the financial and operational support of the Agence Française pour le Développement (AFD), the Institut Français de Cotonou (Benin), the Institut de Recherche pour le Développement (IRD) and the Ministries of Education of Benin, Cameroon, Chad, Côte d'Ivoire, Madagascar, Mauritania, Niger and Senegal. It took place at the Institut Français de Cotonou (Benin).
The workshop benefited 25 participants from the following 8 countries: Benin, Cameroon, Chad, Côte d'Ivoire, Madagascar, Mauritania, Niger and Senegal, with delegations of 2 or 3 participants from each country. All the participants were teachers, professional development providers, inspectors or institutional managers in charge of developing new programs or producing resources to support these programs.
The workshop was designed by the Office for Climate Education and facilitated by :
- David WILGENBUS, Executive Director, OCE (Paris, France)
- Sakina PEN POINT, Education Officer, OCE (Paris, France)
- Pierre LENA, Member of the French Academy of Sciences, President of OCE (Paris, France)
- Jeanne ZOUNDJIHEKPON, Director of the Laboratory of Ecological Genetics of the University of Abomey Calavi (UAC, Benin)
The workshop has been designed by alternating :
- Immersive" workshops (questioning, debates, experiments, individual, group or collective work, etc.). The activities were designed to be reproducible in class or in training, and require in particular common and inexpensive equipment.
- Moments of analysis of the activities experienced (both from the point of view of the knowledge acquired and the approaches implemented).
- Moments for exchange of practices, during which the participants could present and discuss the projects they already carried out locally.
- Production group work for the design of educational projects adapted to the different countries.